MyCSSMenu Save Document

Scouting Video: Jared Lakind, 1B, Cypress Woods (TX) HS (2010 Draft)

By
December 23, 2009

Texas high school prospect Jared Lakind signed with Arkansas, where he could also serve as a left-handed pitcher. Here’s a look at him swinging the bat.

Get the Flash Player to see this content.

I expect his future to be as a left-handed hitting corner infielder or outfielder. Listed at 6-2, 200, Lakind should have room for physical projection. I saw him hit a ball very well to straightaway centerfield, an early sign of the potential to hit with power to all fields. Guys who usually have that kind of power potential sometimes don’t show it immediately when they first start hitting with wood, because it’s a skill so closely associated with strength which has yet to fully develop.

Frankly that’s a good sign because nobody wants to be as good as they’re going to be as a teenager. The reason is because the hands work. Lakind gets the good sound with wood, though he’ll still have to shorten his stroke a bit and prove he can defend the inner half. He showed adjustability signs, which is another positive. A reasonable guy to compare to Lakind might be Ryan Wheeler, who was the Arizona Diamondbacks minor league player of the year as a rookie in 2009.

Watch more Jared Lakind Video
Read Jared Lakind Scouting Report

Comments

6 Responses to “Scouting Video: Jared Lakind, 1B, Cypress Woods (TX) HS (2010 Draft)”

1. Mike Bryant says:

I love this guys swing. Great kid. I enjoyed throwing BP to him under the stands at the Metrodome this past June at the PG Showcase.

2. Daniel Wolfe says:

I can’t wait until he hits the majors. I’ll be sitting alongside his grandfather “shepping nahchiss” He’s a great kid with great potential.

3. Larry Lakind says:

My son Jared said Mike Bryant was the best batting practice coach he has had. Said he was “perfect”…….I am thinking of moving to Vegas so that Mike can throw more BP to him… Mike’s son Kris is one of the best hitters in this class…tremendous power, reminds me of Dave Kingman and also a great kid. He should go very high in the draft.

Danny thanks for the compliments, hope all is well.

4. Mike Bryant says:

Larry, thanks for the kind words. Vegas would love to have Jared out here as long as you move into Bonanza HS district ! I am looking forward to following Jareds and all of the Aflac players baseball careers . This past year has been so heart warming for Kris and our family. Met alot of great families . I will be proud to say I had a small part of Jareds baseball career when he makes it to the show. Best of luck to you and the family.

5. Mike Ahearn says:

I saw Jared play for the first time last night at a scrimage game at CyWoods. The first pitch Jared saw he sent it sailing to right center about 370 feet over the fence. My daughter Shelby says he does that all the time. Quite impressive!

6. Dan Wolfe says:

I’ll be sitting on Jared’s grandfather’s when we watch him smackone over the fence at Citifield